Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Friend.......Some Thoughts, part 2



I find pleasure pursuing the brook trout in all seasons. Each one has its attributes, and drawbacks. I find that Autumn is the finest season in which to seek him out.
The streams and the landscapes are beautiful at this time of year. The waters have cooled from the crisp nights, and the days can be spectacular. It is also the time of year when the brook trout begin their quest to bring forth a new generation. They begin this anytime from late September through perhaps early December. I have seen this spawning activity in many of the streams I've fished.
The male brook trout at this time of year can be quite stunning. His colors seem to take on the same colors of the landscapes, only more vibrant.

I have been fortunate to fish for these fall classics in many places, from large rivers, to lakes and ponds, and in my favorite of places, "the small stream". I believe when a brook trout is taken from a small stream, his colors are more vibrant, perhaps this is because of his small size, sort of like a concentration of flavors. Just my view of it.

Some say that Autumn is a time when nature brings death to the woodlands, and this may be true.... but she also starts the life cycle of the brook trout.






One of the tools needed. Fly selection need be simple.



The colors of this brook trout rival natures finest paintings.



The Rangeley River in late September. Several beautiful brook trout have come from this river.



Even the streamers take on the colors of Autumn.



Autumn's beauty at its best. A wild brook trout, in a small Connecticut stream.


14 comments:

  1. Hey Alan,
    The photo of the Rangeley looks like a painting (fantastic).
    I am going to have to get myself up there during the fall on one of my business trips to Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brk TRT, nice post!! I myself would love to be in the Rangley Lakes area of ME this coming Fall. There is a small town called Wilson Mills ME which is in the Rangley area that I spent sometime in myself, which I love to reflect back on.

    Again, great post.....DRYFLYGUY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed,
    Thanks.
    If you do go there Ed, You'll have a tough time leaving. The memories of your time there will help you cope with the winter to come.


    DRYFLYGUY,
    Thanks.
    I'm very familiar with Wilson Mills. The Magalloway, and so many small streams to explore. Not to mention the partridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fly fishing in the fall. Proabably my favorite time to fish, for all of the reasons you mentioned. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From mid September through Christmas time is my favorite time of year. The fishing options are endless and hunting season is open.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill,
    Thanks.
    I'm with you... I can't wait either.


    Savage,
    Thanks.
    There is a lot to put on the table those few months.
    And they all fit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful scenery, lovely fish. Small streams have their own magic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you fish as well as you post, then it's a good thing you C&R. Great pics as usual Brk Trt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post and pictures. There's something very special about walking along a small WTS in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the color of those fish in the pics. I especially like the black on them. Streams shutdown here from Sept. to March so I miss out on their special colors. Nice choice of fly rod also. Is that a 7' or 6' Croix. Great Post. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's hard to beat those fish. They certainly are beautiful. Great post and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phillip,
    Thanks.
    Yes they do friend.


    Kev2380,
    Thanks.


    John,
    Thanks.
    I wish I could fish, every outing is a learning one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. George,
    Thanks.
    Autumn is special. Especially for those of us that see the beauty of the natural world.


    Trout Magee,
    Thanks.
    It's a 6ft 3wt, great little rod.


    Sanders,
    Thanks.
    Spots, and halos.... wonderful

    ReplyDelete