Friday, February 6, 2015

A Glass Fly Rod

The resurgence of fiberglass into the fly rod has been going on for some time. I believe that the Diamondback Rod Company when they were an independent company in Vermont were the first maker of glass rods to start the trend. Most of us have had a glass rod as the first rod we fished with, I know my first fly rod was a Cortland 7ft 5wt. The market is now engrossed with glass and many high end manufacturers are producing them. These rods run a price from 100.00 up to 500.00. There are many small companies that will custom build a glass rod for you and some of these rods can top out at well over 500.00.

Ebay is a good source for finding many used glass fly rods, but some of the better ones will also bring a steep price. I had thought about going back to fishing glass for a few years but never cared to spend a lot of money on a rod. I had done some research on glass rods on various forums and decided to go out and make a purchase.

I chose the "Eagle Claw" Featherlight. The rod is a 6ft 6in rated for a 3/4 weight line. When I recieved the rod I was amazed. For a price of 29.95 I could not believe the quality. The workmanship in the fine tuning of the rod was not that bad. It came with a beautiful wood insert on the reel seat. The cork handle was well done, and it has a beautiful taper. The snake guides are aligned nicely and the wraps well done.

I took this rod out and lawn cast it using several lines form 2wt to 5wt. I found that a 4wt worked best. This rod was able to throw a 30ft cast very nicely and it also roll cast just as well. This will be primarily used on small streams so casting distance is not an issue.


I have decided to match it with a Pflueger Medalist 1494 reel. The reel seems to balance well and it seems to be the right choice. I am anxious to give this rod a stream tryout.





28 comments:

  1. Brk Trt! Great post. I have the exact same set up from many years ago. Same rod and reel exact match!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUTI,
      Thanks.
      Pete when we next fish, hopefully soon, we'll have to fish it.

      Delete
  2. Alan - welcome to the glass "club". Glass rods serve very well for fishing small streams and I sure you will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks.
      I still have my Cortland glass rod from the mid seventies. It's a bit beat up but I still fish it.
      The last fish I took on it was a brown taken in the Willowemoc.

      Delete
  3. I see that you've caved. The sickness spreads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently tried a little Fiberglass Scott rod and it roll cast like a dream. I'm glad I have a little three weight Winston that I use as my small stream rod or I'd be looking at another rod purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ssj,
      Thanks.
      Scott rods are top of the line as are Winston. The Eagle Claw is a fine tool for those wanting to try glass or those just coming into the passion.

      Delete
  5. I like how you chose flies of matching colors. A Diamondback was the first rod I bought. I think my dad was nervous letting me use his battenkill's, so he paid half. Chore $ paid the rest. I was maybe 12.
    I saw several open stream holes along 395 today.... Amongst the thick ice and snow. Makes me wanna get out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swamp Yankee,
      Thanks.
      I hope you still have that Diamondback. Please can we have a week of 40+ days.

      Delete
  6. Being an early glass advocate, I can only say welcome to the club Alan. There are so many great offerings for someone who has the time, inclination and money to experiment with new glass. Let's not forget old glass either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett,
      Thanks.
      I have the first two, but the third is a the slim side. I'm going to have some fun with it.

      Delete
  7. Handsome rig. That yellow will look especially good in the autumn woods of Maine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Yaussy Albright,
      Thanks.
      Jim that's for sure.

      Delete
  8. Very nice set up Brk, I remember my first sea rods were fibreglass and your post has brought a flood of memories back from fishing trips on the isle of Anglesey.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Wooldridge,
      Thanks.
      John I would love to read about such a trip on your blog.

      Delete
  9. I've read those Virginia fly fishers love the Eagle Claw for fishing the Shenandoah. You can bushwhack and not worry if it gets a little nicked up. I love my 6 foot Hardy Glass 3wt, so much fun. I've landed some good sized fish on it as well. Enjoy the new rod my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apache Trout,
      Thanks.
      John is that so. The rod is cost effective no doubt. I have been thinking of Shenandoah since last October.

      Delete
  10. Alan
    Eagle Claw is as old as the hills when it comes to fly fishing and still turns out unbelievable fly rods today. I remember my Dad using a Trailmaster back in the late 1960's. Great price on the new purchase, and the price is unreal! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      Bill Eagle Claw, Pflueger. and a few others have put many anglers on the streams.

      Delete
  11. Yahoo, looks like those "Yeller' rods have claimed another fan...............................
    I need to add this little rod to my other two Eagle Claw Featherlights that I already own. So much fun and so little impact on the budget of an Ol' Geezer or anyone else for that matter. Await your fishing reports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel,
      Thanks.
      For the price Mel the can't be beat. They also have some nice highlights.
      I can't wait to catch my first trout on it.

      Delete
  12. I normally build my own rods (graphite). But for $30 I cannot even build one of my own for that price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tim,
      Thanks.
      I did not expect such quality in a rod at this price. For small stream use it's going to be hard to beat.
      Can't wait to try it.

      Delete
  13. I'll probably be posting about these yellow rods soon, as well. I've been eyeballing them for quite some time. They seem to be very popular, and for the price point, I don't think you can go wrong. Look forward to seeing the bookies you bring with the yellow glass rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justin Carfagnini,
      Thanks.
      Funny thing I read a few reviews on the rod. Then I purchased it and the reviews keep coming in, and they are all good.
      I'll look to your review.

      Delete
  14. Excellent post. I spent a lot of years with the 7-foot version of that set up. After it made it into a reminiscing blog post of mine last spring I had to break it out over the summer and let my 5 year old daughter take some of her first trout on a fly with it. And of course I snuck a few casts in myself. After spending years in a tube in a closet, it has resumed a place in my small stream arsenal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan Allison,
      Thanks.
      Bryan after posting I have received many positive responses to the Eagle Claw rod. Several of the emails told me of some wonderful times small stream fishing with it. I can now add another to the list.

      Delete