Thursday, February 26, 2015

Cabela's C.G.R. Glass Rod

While wondering about Cabela's web site last week I came upon a sale that caught my eye. It was a particular fly rod, that fly rod was their "CGR" Cabela's Glass Rod. It was a three piece five foot nine inch three weight. It's price was 79.95. So for that price I was sure I was going to order one, and I did.

The rod was delivered to the Cabela's retail store in East Hartford, so there was no shipping charge, and I picked it up Tuesday. When I brought it home and unpacked it I was thrilled by what I saw. The rod blank was a polished green, and had spigot ferrules, precise markings, nicely spaced guides and exceptional cork. The reel seat is also cork which is part of the handle which has a very nice taper, sliding rings are used to hold the reel.


When I assembled the rod the three pieces fit snuggly and separated with that nice "pop". When assembled the rod had a great feel, soft but not like a wet noodle. I paired it up with a Battenkill 3/4 reel with a 3wt line and took it out to cast it. The rod loaded well and cast the line beautifully. I was able to roll cast without much effort, which is a big part of small stream fishing.


I am very anxious to fish this rod. I have a particular stream in mind but I'll have to wait until the freeze is gone. I think for a price of 79.95 I got a gem of a deal.





26 comments:

  1. I have this rod. It's a lot of fun. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben B.
      Thanks.
      I'm sure it will become a favorite.

      Delete
  2. Sweet looking casting instrument Brk Trt..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. penbayman,
      Thanks.
      Mike it sure looks to be a winner.

      Delete
  3. You'll enjoy it. I picked up the 4-weight a few years ago, it's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Agneta,
      Thanks.
      I'm sure I will Mike. From the responses quite a few of you guys have had experience with this rod.

      Delete
  4. I have been thinking of getting one of these from the USA since the first time they sold them. Sweet arent they..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      Thanks.
      I have not fished this rod, but from the looks and feel and the lawn casting they are indeed sweet.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    Exceptional looking fly rod for that price. I am really impressed with the handle and reel seat, which blends well with the rod itself. I think the Battenkill is an excellent choice for the reel pairing. I have the Battenkill I and II and impressed with both reels. Looking forward to a report. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      Bill the lines on this rod work so well, very pleasing. The Battenkill seems to work well. Can't wait to take a brookie on it.

      Delete
  6. Alan - enjoy it, it is a sweet small stream rod, loved mine til I feel in love with another

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks.
      I can't wait to cast it on a favorite stream......soon I hope.

      Delete
  7. Although I don't own one, I've seen many positive reviews by hardcore glass geeks. I think you'll love it for small streams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett,
      Thanks.
      Howard funny thing, I didn't reed the reviews on this rod until I purchased it.

      Delete
  8. I have three of them. You are going to love it. Great score

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J and M Flies,
      Thanks.
      Now there's a positive review. I can't doubt a man who owns three of them.

      Delete
  9. That is a beauty Al!!!! Now you've got me thinking ...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUTI,
      Thanks.
      Pete you will love it, and you can't beat the price.
      We can have a all glass meet up>

      Delete
  10. They are a beautiful piece of work for the money invested. I don't own one, but, I soon might. At that sale price, why would an avid angler pass one up? Looking forward to reading about your success with the rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel,
      Thanks.
      Very true, for the money it's a great deal. Now I want to fish it.

      Delete
  11. Makes me want to pick one up with all these positive reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RI brook trout,
      Thanks.
      I can't give you an actual fishing review of it but just from seeing and lawn casting it this rod's a winner.

      Delete
  12. I've had glass on the brain all winter and have taken my old 7ft Fenwick for a workout within the month on the Swift. It was rated a 5 wt but casts a 3 wt triangle taper easily. That's glass for you- very forgiving. Your Cabela rod has me thinking.....

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  13. Millers River Flyfisher,
    Thanks.
    Ken you are so right when you say they are forgiving. I think you'll like this rod, and for the price it's hard to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are on sale for 39.99 right now. It's an unbelievable deal!

    ReplyDelete