Thursday, December 15, 2016

A Shared Stream, Brook Trout And Dry Flies

In the small stream angling community secrecy is probably the best piece of equipment an angler can possess, and if the stream contains wild brook trout that knowledge would be harder to get from the angler than a secret from the CIA. Tuesday one of those secrets was shared by a fellow small stream addict with myself and Kirk. Rowan from "Connecticut Fly Angler" was gracious enough to show us one of his gems.

We chose a place to meet and the time was 9am, which is about an hour before the brookies become active. In winter they love to sleep in and breakfast is when the sun warms the waters. The air the night before was cold and the frost that formed on everything was very picturesque. We got ourselves geared up and a small walk brought us to the stream. Splitting up, Kirk wet downstream and Rowan upstream, and the senior angler was given the easier, kinder access run to fish.


The easy access I fished is in the first photo and as it turned out to be my best run of the day. I tied on a "pinkie" which is one of the better flies for winter stream fishing. Several casts were made but not one honest take. What I did notice was that while retrieving the fly several times I saw a slight interest in it as it came to the surface. A look in the fly box and a Stimulator" was plucked from it and tied on. The second cast and my first wild jewel was at hand.


Rowan working one of many "fishy" looking runs on this stream.


I continued my way downstream, slowly working all of the good trout water. The stimulator still attached. As it turned out that was the only fly I would only need. I tried a few soft-hackles which worked but not like the "stimi".


Another Connecticut wild one. These brook trout were strong and well fed.


The little 4'10" 2wt was bent pretty good by the brookies in this stream....is that green grass?


I never give the names of streams I fish, but in this case I will. The reason I'm going to tell the name is because I believe no one will want to challenge it's defence. So the name of the stream is "Thorn Brook" I have several gashes on my hands and fingers that still throb.


These fish are worth bleeding for.


Kirk working a good run.


This run-pool owes me a giant....I had a beauty on here and lost him.


My last jewel of the day....hook barely in has lip. Take a good look at this "buck"...the hooked snout, that kype. the shape of his head as well as the shoulders...this will be an awesome fish come next October.

The day was pretty much ended when we stopped for a coffee. Kirk and Rowan fished a few other areas but I chose to go home. Thanks Rowan, and thanks Mr. and Mrs. S. Fontinallis, for a fine day.













16 comments:

  1. A beautiful stream and brook trout, some very colorful. You guys had a great outing and I am living vicariously through your posts right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete we love bringing these outings to you....soon you'll join us.

      Delete
  2. Alan
    Outstanding trip for sure, I could see having to do some crawling to get to some of pools, pretty dense, but worth it. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill it was well worth the bleeding...next time I'll bring heavy gloves.

      Delete
  3. The simulator is one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz-Shoreman
      Thanks
      Mark that stimulator is a western pattern but our eastern brookies love it. Also it's highly visible on the water for us who have not so good eyesight.

      Delete
  4. I'm always happy to share a good stream with you two tight lipped brook trout hunters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning fish as always Alan and a good read too, well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George
      Thanks
      George they are lovely creatures, so writing about them seems easy.

      Delete
  6. A good brook trout stream, like grouse coverts, should always be kept a secret. That's just the way it is. Beautiful and good sized brookies in there. Well done fellas.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam I have a few of those coverts still locked away.
      It was a fine day out on the stream.

      Delete
  7. For some reason that first fish has me mesmerized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard that was my favorite of the day. I adore small brook trout.

      Delete
  8. Alan, I so envy you fellows and your opportunities that you share from the small stream world. That particular stream looks very inviting, and, those Brookis seem to be doing really well. Thanks for sharing...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandpa Mel
      Thanks
      Mel for a small state we have so much in the way of small stream angling. Willing trout on a cold day is so comforting.

      Delete